Wednesday 4 March 2015

The Hidden Pantry - Blachington Road, hove

Food: Really huge selection and really good

Child Friendliness: Excellent

Access: Not great but worth it if you can get a buggy/child down the stairs where there is more room
Prices: Slightly expensive but worth it
Ambiance: Vintage, retro china, woolen jumpers and quirkiness


I have mixed thoughts about Blatchington Road...KFC, then the awesome kids shoe shop Klodhoppers, then Co-op, then some cafes, then some drunks, then some hairdressers...you get the picture. So my hesitation to try one of the cafes was palpable but luckily I wasn't alone as I ventured down the road on a dank half term morning to sample The Hidden Pantry. Deep breath and I was immediately really worried when we went in as the ground level of the café is TINY, 2-3 tables and window space plus the counter all squeezed in...but we managed. The buggy was placed at the lovely lady's suggestion by the door and she brought a highchair (wooden, Café Nero style) to the table. There are little knick knacks everywhere, cute kitsch salt and pepper pots etc. so we had to be vigilant wandering tiny hands didn't find anything but there was a big basket of kids books to entertain Ivy with, hooray! We were 'upstairs' but downstairs looked far more spacious (we could peer through the bannister and check it out.) SO the china - it is awesome and all the pieces are different! I had a lovely dinky little teacup and saucer and a huge silver tea pot,  don't get me wrong its a gimmick but I love it. I had a pot of loose leaf breakfast tea and it was lovely. The other half, on the other hand, had a ridiculous chocolate button hot chocolate concoction aimed at the kids (which actually looked delicious...) but was pricey. Talking about pricey, the food is definitely on the pricey side but in my opinion worth it, lovely big portions and really tasty food. 

Ivy has some apricot flapjack which was very rich and sticky so unsurprisingly she gobbled it up. Overall, access is limited but do-able, as we arrived quite early the place soon filled up with half term families with kids etc. and most knew to head downstairs which is what I will do in future. The stairs are tempting for my little menace so when she was de-tethered constant vigilance was required especially as the book basket was at the bottom! Good for a special brunch out but maybe too special for an everyday coffee but I'll make the intrepid journey again and go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment